Saturday, April 4, 2009

On Dog Bites and CVS Minute Clinic

On Wednesday I got a dog bite. Thursday morning T suggested I get a tetanus shot. I agreed but promptly got involved in other activities. Friday night I was in Boston and retelling the dog bite story to a friend who said I should DEFINITELY get a tetanus shot. Sure enough, we researched it and recommendations were to have one within three days if a person, such as me, couldn't remember when the last tetanus shot was administered.

It wasn't too convenient to get one that night. I was in town to attend a 60th birthday party. The same friend suggested the Minute Clinic at CVS for the following day. I chose one in Plymouth MA as it was enroute to the Cape where I was headed on Saturday.

What a boon! Simple matters are taken care of by nurse practioners at certain CVS stores. I signed in, waited a short amount of time and got my shot for $62. Blue Cross of MA will cover some treatments, unfortunately not this one. Still, it was fast, easy and I felt much better being safer than sorrier. I made the three day limit within ONE HOUR of the dog bite!

1 comment:

  1. Who knew? Glad you got your tetanus update. No chance rabies, right? That's another one you can treat for right away after a bite. A bite seems like not much, but there's potentially a lot of scary stuff associated with one.

    ReplyDelete