Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Letter Packets


Some years ago, I was ruthlessly sorting and throwing things out. My correspondence from the previous ten years was spared . I have thrown out letters in the past and regret it mightily to this day. My plan on this day (perhaps the summer of 2000?) was to save many of the letters and label packets according to their authors. I envisioned bringing the bundles with me to a nursing home someday where I would wistfully go through each one and relive the memories associated with each friend. Some people to whom I told this plot thought it totally bizarre while others were hatching the same plot themselves.

Now that Maggie has died, I remembered that surely I must have a packet with her name on it. Yes, indeedy. It has been brought to my bedside where I read a few each night and call her presence to mind and heart. One of the last things I whispered in her ear was, "Think of all the secrets we have shared, Mag," and these letters are proof. Before reading them, I thought I might share them with her family, but have subsequently decided that they'll remain between the two of us, except for some loving excerpts and tributes to them

The letters stop circa 2000, as that is when email became so much more prevalent in my life. I love email because of the speed with which I can type and communicate, affording me a greater volume of missives and intimacy with others. Yet, there are no more packets in my future and for that I am sad.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure her family will love to get those little snippets! I was thinking this morning how I don't have stacks of photos to sort or photo albums to go through anymore. I have a couple boxes of letters too... I've been saving those from one friend, maybe one day for her daughter.

    ReplyDelete