Sunday, March 21, 2010

Con permiso, quiero sacar una foto, por favor?

The best thing about learning spanish is that I am now able to ask people politely and respectfully if I can take their photos. I am still embarrassed as I don't want to patronize them or lead them to believe that I think they're quaint, charming looking, etc. Which I DO of course. That's the point, but I'd rather they realize I appreciate their glow and vitality. THAT I can't say in spanish yet.

But these two I couldn't resist. They put their hands out for change when I asked and I was glad to give them the few pesos I had. However, the real treat was that I was able to print out this same photo immediately and carry it to them. They were thrilled. They hugged and kissed me and held my hand and spoke a bunch of spanish I didn't understand, except for "showing it to their grandchildren." It was not only the highlight of my day, but probably of my whole month here.

1 comment: