Monday, November 16, 2009

Zach and his Birthday Gift

Syl and Bob got Zach CHICKENS (bantams - Spike, Rusty and Dusty) for his fourth birthday (Nov. 29). Syl reports that Spike and Zach have bonded. I remember when Syl bonded with her own chicken, Funnyfeathers in about 1977 or 78. I must admit I feel some pride in this choice of gifts, as if somehow Syl's upbringing had a positive impact on her in some ways, at least.

Having just spent a week with Zach and brother Dex (and cousins Sohpia and Dylan), I was pleased to note that Zach has a real love of nature, especially birds. Apparently on a recent holiday he asked if he were able to catch a seagull, could he keep it? YES, his parents said, for obvious reasons. Then, with me, he was back at it trying to trap a goose into his arms. I love his fearless and joyous approach to living things. He also loves bugs. When stung by a bee, he didn't cry but reported, "it's only a bee!"

No comments:

Post a Comment