Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Another Knitting Failure


IMG_2629
Originally uploaded by gramily
I maintain that my main skills for knitting are patience and persistence. This time, I made many mistakes on this simple project of knitting a dishcloth, and though I was patient, my persistence did not result in a successful outcome. I must admit failure.

I was inspired by Rachel, of www.knitsbyrachel.com. She makes clever dishcloths and creates her own graphics, like bats for Halloween, and my favorite, a vacuum cleaner with the text, "housework sucks." I tried to create a birthday message for a friend on a dishcloth ala Rachel. I have more respect than ever for her.

I graphed it out, not quickly. The illustration above was my at least my third attempt at centering, spacing, decisions on what to place where, wording according to available space.

I made several false starts on the knitting end, by failing to remember that I wasn't knitting in the round as I was when I inserted the names of my grandchildren on their Christmas stockings.

Finally I recreated the graphics from pen and pencil to the knitted object. Many a row was torn out and restarted too.

The result?? TOTALLY ILLEGIBLE! Not only does my poor friend get a dishcloth as a birthday gift, but one with a garbled message.

The balance is between a) sticking with instructions worked out by someone else for less frustration and b) continuing to be patient and persistent in order to keep the hemispheres of the brain lighting up in different areas, and to insert my own ideas. I nearly always select the latter and wish I would choose the former.

No comments:

Post a Comment