Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Reasons Not to Have Many Sweaters

Every spring I take all the woolens I can find and wash them, hang them on a rack to dry, then fold them and store them for the summer. This is done in batches over several days. Every year I swear I'm getting rid of half of them, not acquiring OR knitting more and moving on to synthetic fleece.

My mother did the same thing, throwing mothballs into the mix. One difference was we had so many fewer sweaters back then. I still have some of the Scandinavian ones brought back by my aunts from Norway, and childhood ones knit by our friends the Burkes (yes, BOTH Mr. and Mrs Burke knit, as did my father) I just can't seem to discard them, even though I know I won't use them and no one else I know would want them.

I get very grumpy this time of year as I want to clear my life of things...until I am face to face with those things. I dream of a monk's cell. Well, maybe with one or two favorite things. Let's see...which will I choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment