Thursday, February 26, 2009

Another Mexican Day

This is lower end shopping. The "booth" is really just a blanket on the ground and this woman has the most whimsical woven straw and ribbon items. I couldn't resist several which you can't see here; an all white woven reindeer that has a rattle inside, a crocodile that is no more than a centimeter long and must have been woven with pins (of course I can't ask because I am too dumb to have learned Spanish before I came...I have to make do with many ooos and ahhhs), and 2 inch donkey with baskets on his side. total= 62 pesos. (14.6 pesos = one dollar) That's a hell of a lot of work for the weaver.

This is an upscale shop and everything is expensive, though also whimsical. I didn't buy anything.
Life is simple here. I'm sure this woman is going to start her own fire to cook her dinner. That's why she collects kindling along the way. Almost all of the older women have long ponytails or braids. All the girl children do too. But not the young women necessarily.
The bus station...it's a very Catholic country. Can you see the Virgin on the altar?
The streets are filled with the fallen carcasones. Confetti and colorful egg shells EVERYWHERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment