Monday, June 9, 2008

Shades of Silver

I walked with a friend I only see every six months or so lately and was pleased to see she had stopped dying her hair which was now streaked gray/brown/white/blonde. On our last walk, I had blabbed about all the reasons I thought being gray was a good thing.

Why, after all, do we women want to look younger?

I read an essay by Anne Kreamer who found surprising results when she ran an experiment of being alternately gray and brunette. For those women who feel they might look dull and unattractive and fade into the background, if they were to let their hair go undyed, it's worth reading. However, to me, that isn't the point either.

Sorry I can't quote the author of another article I read many many years ago by a psychotherapist who said the main thing he noticed as people got emotionally healthy was that they got plainer looking as they were unafraid of looking themselves.

I look lovingly around me at my friends whose hair is now streaked many shades of beautiful silver and in some cases, wear a whole helmet of of gorgeous gray/white. Bring on the gray!

1 comment:

  1. OK here's some vanity on my part... I DO highlight my hair... unevenly and unregularly, but still I do it. My hair has actually gotten darker as I've gotten older, and that sun-kissed coating that used to happen on its own just doesn't anymore. Oh, and then there are the gray hairs. I learned yesterday they are called metulated fibers (no scales, different texture than the other hair). To me they've always been gray pubic hairs spouting on my head, they grow fast from nowhere, all kinky and curled! So the bleached streaks kind of mix it all up. On the other hand, I find gray hair on a younger woman extremely attractive. AND when I was all of 13 I wanted to be wrinkled like my grandmother, who at the time was 75 (I keep reminding myself of this!).

    ReplyDelete