Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Wonder of a Forty Year Friendship

No street collage today because there were no streets under my feet.

I drove to my friend J's house where we spent the day as giddy as we were forty years ago when we first met. Since that time in Ogunquit when our lives converged, we have been through many life experiences, many miles apart, yet we seem to manage to reunite about once a year. It is always with intimacy and sheer delight.

After a day with J, I need quiet (thank goodness for the 1 1/2 hour drive home) to absorb all that she has radiated, all the wisdom she has imparted, all the focus she has given me, all the stories she has shared.

This time I heard the story of her being on a radio quiz show when she was the smartest girl in the fourth grade in Newton, MA. She missed a question relating to music and ran behind the curtain to cry. I saw the photo of her on that day, with her shy smile and braids. Sorry I can't share it here. Instead, here is her landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment