Sunday, June 5, 2011

Humble me.

My friend Nan introduced me to the idea of "pilpul." I'm not sure how that's spelled, but my understanding of this yiddish term is that it is a a form of much ado about nothing, a mountain out of a mole hill, or as Nan put it, When something that could have been a great paragraph becomes a essay, or a an article becomes a book.

I don't want this observation of mine to become pilpul, but I must say that I notice its truth every day. WHENEVER I AM CRITICAL OF SOMEONE, I NOTICE THE SAME CHARACTERISTIC IN MYSELF WITHIN 24 HOURS.

When T empties a beverage bottle, he always puts the lid/cap back on, as in this Schweppes bottle. I always wonder why he does this instead of just throwing out the cover. After all, the bottle will be rinsed by me before being tossed in the recylce bin. Every time I unscrew the lid of an empty bottle, I wonder.

But this morning while I was rinsing out the peanut butter jar and cover for recycling, I noted that I both washed it out AND rinsed it. Now, really, WHY am I rinsing off the soapsuds? It's totally unnecessary. With dishes, obviously we do it because we don't want to ingest soap, but for recycle?? I don't think so.

Hmmm. Isn't this just habit, unnecessary labor, the same as putting a lid back on an empty beverage bottle? I DO think so.

Humble me, Please.

1 comment:

  1. That's kind of funny you know...

    Sometimes I put the lid on the empty, sometimes not... I guess it might depend if the trash is near the recycle/return bin.

    I DID just call SIL's mother mean and ugly... hopefully that's not one of these things!

    ReplyDelete