Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Shutting Out the Heat

The only less than perfect aspect of my cottage is that it gets very hot inside during the afternoon. Solar heat comes pouring in through the two large glass doors and the living area feels like an oven. Today I did something about it, something quick, easy and inexpensive.

Redi Shades are sold at Home Depot and are essentially accordion pleated paper shades that have an adhesive top strip. They're WONDERFUL! They come in a few sizes, and are easily cut to fit your space. All you need is a sharp utility knife.

They come with two clips so you can adjust them as necessary, depending on how much shade you want. They up and down simply. I'm going to try leaving mine all the way down for awhile, though here I'm showing how one looks when clipped part way up. or down.

Redi-shades get excellent reviews from other customers as well. There were some vinyl shades at my Home Depot (San Jose, Hillsdale) that were the same idea, but corded instead of clipped. I couldn't quite decide which model to choose. The sales woman told me she had used her ORIGINALS for years and why didn't I just go with the known quantity? I agreed and left happily with my paper shades which seem to me to be vaguely reminiscent of Japan. Did I mention the cost? $4.97 each. Yip, less than $10 to cover both windows.

2 comments:

  1. ver clever.maybe could use some here

    ReplyDelete
  2. uh oh, sounds like you are starting to grow roots over there ... "my" home depot in San Jose, haha. Wouldn't mind the sun heating up our house today. Pretty nippy out, barely reaching 40. Hope you guys have a fun Halloween!
    Quincy mom

    ReplyDelete