Monday, August 25, 2008

The Good-Enough Gardening Attitude


Whenever I get out in the garden, the yard, the woods surrounding the house, I get a yen to manage it all. I want to thin the trees out so that the lake is more visible, make the lawn into converging pathways to the lake with little chunks of Japanese gardens along the way, set hostas along the woods edge by the screen porch, etc. etc. It's overwhelming: where to begin? How? What way is the correct way to accomplish any of these ideas?

Instead I convince myself of the enormity of the universe and how little difference it makes if I never get around to doing any of it. I reposition, replant different plants in my existing garden and ho hum my way through the afternoon and the summer. I've transplanted a short hosta so it can be seen better away from it's tall cousins, repositioned a fern that was camouflaged amongst other ferns, and heaved a staggering, spindly, gasping tiny twelve-year-old- azalea into the woods.

It's my form of Good Enough Gardening for 2008.

1 comment:

  1. I too get overwhelmed with gardening. I WAS going to do this this year, but will try again this fall - baby step gardening. Focus on one manageable section at a time. Pick a small scetion and plant and focus energy on and forget about the big picture for a while. I hope to do a little bit of perennial planting each year and hope to see bigger results over the years ahead rather than the one at present.

    ReplyDelete