Sunday, May 1, 2011

compassion

Every time my feelings are hurt, I remember a time when I have hurt someone elses feelings in the same way. Oh, it's not immediate. I wallow around a bit, enjoying the familiarity of being hurt, but suddenly, a memory will pop into my head that isn't a pretty picture of my own behavior.

This time it's about getting thanked. We were probably all taught that when we receive a gift, it's proper to write a thank you note. In this digital age, it's even easier to say thank you with a brief email or even a facebook thank you. But we don't always get those thanks we think we are due.

While I was knitting these caps, thinking they'd be cute Easter bonnets, I rushed to meet a deadline to get them mailed before I left on my trip north to Montreal. I also wanted to get some boxes shipped to the grandkids so they, too, would have them for Easter. I remembered I might not be back in time to get a birthday card and check to my son-in-law. I managed to meet all my gifting goals before I left. Then, in Montreal, I kept checking my Facebook wall, thinking that there would be a posting with the babies in these caps.

As I knit, I reminded myself that the hats might not fit, they might not be liked; heck, they might even be disliked! I warned myself not to get my hopes up. My old heart didn't listen carefully enough to my head and sure enough, I was disappointed not to see the caps on Facebook, though the families posted pictures of Easter. I have heard nothing about their arrival. The boxes to the grandkids, the card and check to the s-i-l, same thing. (addenda- within weeks, two thank you notes received...blush, blush)

Well, the lesson is always the same. Give it up. Remember times when I have not thanked, not been grateful, have not even liked what I've received. Been there, done that. BE HUMAN. BE COMPASSIONATE!

I'll keep at it....


No comments:

Post a Comment