Saturday, May 14, 2011

My Newly Found Offspring


I had a epiphany recently, that is making my life sweeter, and those around me too. I'm treating others as if they are my offspring. As a mother, there is no bigger love than that for my children who are now grown. Especially when I was responsible for their care entirely, I felt everything they did, their pain and joy. I was hurt when they were injured and elated when they were happy.

As a teacher, when I had difficult students, I tried to think of them as my own children and asked myself, How would her/his mother want her/him treated? The answer was with kindness and respect. And yet, relationships with adults seem more complicated. I have found it much more difficult to accept and honor every adult in my path, especially those who pushed my buttons and irritated me. Often the people we see the most are just such people. (smile, blush)

This week I had the realization that if I really applied myself and committed myself, I could transfer my feelings for children, my own and others, to adults. With this new perspective I find that I have less resentment and more compassion toward those who challenge me. Those challenging ones are the gifts, right? How else can we grow? Not through comfort, not through insulating ourselves with those who agree with us, not through avoiding conflict and pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment