Thursday, May 26, 2011

Free Stuff, Day Six: Chinese dresses anyone?

Here's a blast from the not too distant past. I'm considering relocating the dress I wore to Ethan and Cindy's wedding in Winnipeg. I can't believe how much older I look these seven years later. But it's time for a reality check. I haven't used this dress since and am not likely to. It's for a younger woman, I think. As usual, it's about a 6-8 size.

It's a two piece ensemble, a luxurious silk and rayon blend, completely lined in silk. The dress has short, cap sleeves and the jacket is 3/4 length sleeves. There are modest slits in the sides of the dress. The photos below show color more accurately than the shiny, gold full length shot above.
The details are exquisite, with binding all around, frog clasps, and a higher than usual mandarin collar. That collar is snug. I don't have a fat neck and it's almost uncomfortably tight.




Around the hem, both in front and back, there is bead work that is Oh-So-Subtle.
You don't really notice it unless the light hits it just right and you happen to be looking. It's a dress for a princess....or mother-of-the-groom.

Some years back (I'm not telling how many), I had a collection of these Chinese dresses. To me, they were and are timeless and flattering. However, I also find them confining as one can 't sit or move too easily in them. That being said, they are still exquisite costume wear. I just feel too old for them. Are you seeing a theme here, to my closet over-haul?


As far as comfort goes, this black number is probably highest on the list. There's one more emerald green and turquoise blue one that I'm keeping that has the friendliest features in case I get homesick for Chinese style. This black one is all rayon and...get this...comes from HAWAII! It's real vintage. All these dresses have limited room for bust, so not very good for the big bosom.

The one garment I brought back from our Japanese mountain hiking trip was this jacket. I haven't worn it once. Don't know why. It's roomy, nubby, fun styling. I think it would be good for ANY size, with big bat-wing sleeves, short cut so maybe not so good for tall people, and pockets set on a slant on each side. Coconut buttons (?). Relaxed mandarin collar. Adopted by L.S.

Funny thing, I discovered when taking these photos, it was made in THAILAND! haha. Japanese label, though.


OOOOOH, I hate getting rid of this sexy dress! I loved it for a long time and it is so basic. It's a jersey knit with a shelf bra. I had fun wearing this in a multitude of ways and occasions, but PLEASE- a sixty-something wearing it???? I modeled it for you so you can see that it's flattering but consider the neck, arms and wrinkly face around it. uggh. It's okay with me, as I don't mind aging, but I'd like to do it gracefully. This is a size XS. Don't think it would look good on size 8 or above.

No comments:

Post a Comment